Here are some ways that real people and real businesses are implementing GIFs into their Pinterest strategy:
- Abercrombie & Fitch created a board based on resolutions for the New Year called #14in14. The teen clothing retailer took the top 14 resolutions and turned them into a scrolling GIF on the board. Pretty cool. Any type of list or countdown could potentially be turned into a GIF.
- KIND Snacks made a GIF of a skier Grete Eliassen carving down a mountain in preparation for the Sochi Winter Olympics. The brand usually pins things related to living a healthy and adventurous lifestyle, so this was a good fit. Potentially any live action or activity could be turned into a GIF. The Sochi Olympics will provide a lot of great material for brands looking for this type of content.
- Piperlime chose to GIF the top fashion picks of guest editor and fashionista Olivia Palermo (this is also a theme of one of their boards on Pinterest). Fashion pins could see a lot of innovation with GIFs, think things like: four ways to wear one skirt, how to transition an outfit from office to night, etc.
- Procter & Gamble’s eStore used a GIF to animate the ingredients and steps to make a one pot vegan pasta. Food and drink is another category where a lot of creative GIFs could be employed – especially as one of the most popular categories on Pinterest. Here’s another food-themed GIF pin, and a how-to make a Valentine’s dessert GIF from active content creators on Pinterest.
- The blog, Working Moms Against Guilt, used a GIF to outline the steps of making a Valentine’s Day craft with her kids. Anything that falls into the “how-to” category is a good fit for animation. Here’s another craft how-to GIF from the Smart School House blog.
Smart School House has a really simple guide to creating a GIF if you’re interested in starting to pin GIFs to drive engagement for your own blog or business on Pinterest. Ultimately, GIFs being available on Pinterest is another way that the platform is expanding to customize the user experience. Best of all, it enhances interaction and provides new opportunities for conversion to followers, traffic, subscribers and sales.