Digital marketing leaders gathered in New York to discuss the industry's top challenges and opportunities. One global director (hint: he's one of Fortune magazine's Top 40 under 40!) summarized the group's comments for us.
Late last year, digital business leaders gathered for the New York City Digital Collective. Presenters and hosts included VPs and directors from PepsiCo, Mercedes-Benz, Macy's, American Express, Google, Estee Lauder, Showtime, GE, Hasbro, AB InBev, The Gilt Group, The Hayzlett Group, and more, as well as advertising's Donny Deutsch.
The 2011 New York City Digital Collective
PepsiCo's Bonin Bough and the other hosts closed the day with a recap of the biggest issues the group shared they will be facing in 2012. Here are ten of the challenges they voiced.
10 challenges digital marketers will face in 2012:
1. How do we "talk digital" with the C-Suite? How do we help them have a better user understanding of today's platforms, devices, and services?
2. How do we find the right talent?
3. How are we keeping open communication between digital teams and business teams?
4. What do we do when guidelines and restrictions are slowing down processes? (How do we build trust?)
5. How do we go from innovation to experimentation?
6. How do we make sure advice from both inside and outside the organization is equally weighted?
7. How do we counter an organization's cultural fear of innovation?
8. How can we develop better dashboards, so we can see real-time innovation progress?
9. How do we best manage project ownership?
10. How do we continue to put consumers ahead of the brand when planning content and campaigns?
In this short clip, Bonin shares his top three digital marketing challenges. (:37)
Here's the full interview, including a top campaign from 2011. Also: Bonin talks about being named one of Fortune magazine's Top 40 under 40!
0:00 - Why were you recognized as one of Fortune magazine's 40 under 40?
1:00 - What were your favorite campaigns in 2011?
1:50 - What are the top 3 concerns digital marketers are facing?
3:18 - What are you most excited about in 2012?
Run time is 3:55
The challenges we face this year are daunting. We're moving fast to keep up with platform developments and hot new tools, we're brainstorming new ways to connect with target audiences, and we're working to simplify the complex process of tracking and reporting successes.
Add your comments below: what are the top challenges you're facing?