As the global popularity of smartphones and tablets continues to grow, the competition within mobile app developers also intensifies. More than 1.2 million apps are available between Apple's App Store and Google Play, however roughly 700,000 of these apps are considered "dead," meaning they have never been updated.
In an increasingly busy market, it's not easy to get your app discovered. Thinking that a great app will get discovered on its merit could land you in serious trouble. Developers need to invest time in creating an app marketing campaign to spread the word.
Here are seven ways to market your mobile app:
App store optimization (ASO)
With the app stores overflowing with apps, ASO could be your secret sauce to success. Search is the second most popular method people use to discover apps, with 63 percent of Apple App Store users relying on search to discover apps. Here are some tips to get started with ASO:
- Optimize your app title, description, and keywords to improve the search ranking of your apps.
- Associate your content with a variety of keywords pertaining to the app itself and your business.
- Do not use the keywords in the app's title again in the keywords section, as the app title is also searchable. Instead, utilize it to include important keywords that aren't in your app title.
- Keep descriptions short and sweet -- use bullet points and short sentences to keep the reader engaged.
Maintain a strong social media presence on sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, and Google+ to interact with fans and followers. If you cannot invest time and resources in creating a presence in all these social media sites, find out which one of these is used by the majority of your target audience and build a presence there.
- Use these channels to spread the word, engage with users, and reply to their queries promptly.
- Organize contests that encourage people to share your updates. You can include relevant sharing options at certain trigger points within your app to encourage people to share their experience.
Allow others to invite their social media community to download the app and encourage them to share their experience with your app.